Let's face it, some days you just don't feel like exercising. You get too busy, too stressed and quite simply too tired. But this shouldn't stop you from lacing up your shoes and heading out for a workout!
Here's a list of 13 of the top reasons to exercise. Pull out this list and read it when you need a reminder of why exactly exercise IS worth your time...
1. To Prevent Disease - Exercise has been proven to reduce the risk of just about every single health problem known to man, from stroke to heart disease to cancer and osteoporosis. Exercise is also a great defense against type 2 diabetes, which is one of the most widely growing diseases of our time.
2. To Look Great - Exercise firms your body, improves posture and even makes your skin glow. Looking your best is a wonderful result of regular exercise.
3. To Lose Weight and Keep It Off - Exercise burns fat and prevents future fat storage. If you want to have a thinner, healthier body, exercise is the answer.
4. To Have More Energy - Anyone who exercises regularly will tell you that they are more energetic, less easily irritated and are more peaceful.
5. To Sleep Better - Exercise boosts energy levels, but also wears you out. It makes you feel more vibrant during the day and sleep better at night.
6. To Age Slower - Exercise is one of the most effective ways to fight aging. When you age your body loses muscle and bone; while the loss of both, are drastically reduced with regular exercise. Exercise also helps reduce inflammation.
7. To Relieve Back Pain - In most cases, the best thing that you can do for back pain is to move and strengthen those muscles. Consult your physician or physical therapist for guidance.
8. To Ease Depression - Exercise has been proven to reduce depression – sometimes even as effectively as medication. Just chalk this up as yet another amazing benefit to exercise.
9. To Reduce Aches and Pains - By strengthening muscles around your damaged joints you're able to use exercise to reduce joint pain and overall aches. Always consult your physician before starting an exercise program, especially if you have chronic joint pain.
10. To Stay Mentally Sharp - Exercise has been shown to improve memory and other cognitive functions, and seems to have a protective effect against dementia. A Harvard University researcher called exercise “Miracle-Gro for the brain.”
11. To Enjoy Your Lifestyle - Whatever it is that you love in life – your kids, travel, sports, fashion—it is all more enjoyable when experienced in a fit and healthy body. Exercise so that you are able to enjoy all the great things in life.
12. To Reduce Sick Days - People who exercise regularly are 50% less likely to call in sick to work. A regular exercise program reduces colds and upper respiratory infections.
13. To Boost Confidence - Being fit, feeling healthy and having energy are all building blocks to having great confidence. There is no better confidence booster than sticking with a regular exercise program.